Sunday 11 February 2018

Six More Sleeps

Five more days until Chinese New Year. Six more sleeps until Silent River Kung Fu’s Chinese New Year Banquet.

I love this time of year, I hate this time of year. The engagement I feel, along with the excitement that comes with the opportunity a new beginning brings, makes this time of year my favourite. I love the cold, the snow, and the challenge that comes when training in this area of the planet. I hate everything else that gets piled on at this time of year — year ends, taxes, and for the first time; facing the unknown that being unemployed brings. That old Chinese curse is so true: “May you live in interesting times.”

As much as I enjoy preparing for our upcoming banquet, I will not be sorry to have the event behind me. I need to get my focus narrowed on my own training while I figure out what my new structure is going to look like. First thing I am going to get done is a diagnosis on my left elbow. It has been a year and a half since I injured it roller blading but the inflammation seems to be getting worse as of late. All my best intentions to get my pushups on track with a new, safer approach have been put on hold. Same old story, different joint.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair” - Charles Dickens (1812 - 1870)

1 comment:

Yitzik said...

It is definitely going to be different with you retiring. I think the school will benefit from it in the coming years.