Sunday 14 January 2018

Core Requirement = Core Value

My participation in the UBBT this year is timely. I have been a disciple of the process for ten years and it has worked well for me. The problem is, when you focus on mastery consistently, mediocrity can creep into the process. This year I am going through major change in my life. It is a perfect opportunity to retool, refocus, and clear the path of all the mediocrity that has slithered in.

I have been completing in excess of 50000 pushups and sit-ups every year since 2008. To date, I have completed and logged 538,850 pushups. I feel this core requirement is the foundation upon which all my accomplishments are built. No matter how busy I get in a day, no matter how many things conspire to keep me from working on my kung fu, I end every day with this accomplishment logged. This has ensured that every day results in one step forward toward my goals. I go to bed every night with that positive acknowledgement to end my day and begin the next.

My pushups and sit-ups have not been without setbacks and problems. I have developed some significant shoulder issues due to the way I have been doing the pushups - quantity over quality. I have been completing my pushups in sets of 100 and that has had me neglecting the micro muscles that support the shoulder joint and has only served to reinforce the big muscles. This has caused me to drastically restrict my pushups over the past 6 months while I rehabilitate my shoulders. My goal this year is to complete 180 quality pushups every day with no more than 30-40 in a set. I want to focus on technique so that my shoulders continue to improve while they are strengthened. The challenge this will pose for me is related to my daily structure that has served me so well these past 10 years. I no longer can get my pushup requirement completed before 7am everyday and I will not be able to pad my numbers with the same quantity of extras to allow me to recover during injuries or illness. My intent is that the more mindful approach will limit the number of injuries I suffer from improper technique.

“Don’t waste your life. No one chooses mediocrity but many settle for it. Never settle.” - Anonymous

No comments: