Sunday 24 September 2017

Validation


My approach to planning and achieving goals is not compatible with the way of thinking of most people. I am not a linear thinker, nor are my thoughts readily verbalized. This method of mine has been the source of most of my success and, unfortunately, many of my conflicts. It is difficult to get a someone to support your strategy if you cannot explain your strategy in a way that can be understood. In my defence, I almost always get to where my vision is. The problem is I do not always get there the way I initially planned.

I met with someone this week that has a similar approach to his goals as I do - conflicts and all. He even used the term ‘lucky’ to describe many of his successes because of the roundabout method he had used to achieve them. Lucky is a term I use all the time to describe how I manage to arrive to be where I am at even though I never seem to get where I am going by taking the route I thought I would take. Yet I get there anyway because I remain flexible, adapting to changing situations. I still achieve my goals event if my initially planned path is no longer accessible.

Having my abstract approach to life validated by someone else was a welcome event. It reaffirms the efficacy of my strategy while reminding me of the need to continue to hone my vocabulary to minimize the inevitable conflicts that this approach can provoke.

“Intuition is a very powerful thing, more powerful than intellect.” - Steve Jobs (1955 - 2011)

No comments: