Sunday 27 August 2017

Less is More

It has been four years since I set about reducing my number of possessions to 100. I have always known that achieving that goal is not possible and the value was going to be in the journey, not the destination. My garage still has two motorcycles and my house still has furniture. The motorcycles are not negotiable and my family feels the same way about the furniture, so the journey will continue with the mythical destination remaining beyond the horizon. Yet so much has changed.

These past four years I have run an acquisition deficit. I have donated most of my books and all my excess clothing to homeless shelters. I have eliminated most of my cds and dvds and rely upon streaming content when it is necessary, and I have the public library and digital downloads for my reading needs. Every purchase I make is prefaced with mindful analysis of the necessity of the situation. Most of the time I can get by with borrowing or adapting instead of acquiring.

My minimalistic journey has been exceptionally rewarding. I have not made an impulsive purchase over these past four years and most of my money has been invested in experiences, not things. My thinking is clearer as is my conscience. It is no coincidence that I am more content now than I have ever been.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” - Jackie French Koller (b. 1948)

2 comments:

Khona said...

You can borrow a dog if you are in need of one.

Yitzik said...

Or borrow a kid for a day (or a month)...