Sunday 20 August 2017

Grading Time

It is getting close to that time of year when we will be conducting another black belt grading. This always gets me thinking about what it means to be a black belt and how I can better prepare my students for their own black belt grading.

The best advice I can give to someone wanting to grade for black belt is to focus on becoming a black belt, not achieving a black belt. Too many people spend too much time trying to negotiate a black belt promotion. I do not set the standard, I enforce the standard. The criteria for black belt is set, it cannot and should not be changed. Kung fu is a traditional martial art and so achieving a black belt has not been simplified to just application. A black belt in kung fu is not just a good fighter, a black belt in kung fu is an engaged, cognizant human being.

If you focus on becoming and not just achieving, you will be on the right path.

 "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

No comments: