Sunday 9 July 2017

Goals vs Deadlines and Forest for the Trees

The old advice to work smarter, not harder holds merit in almost every situation including kung fu, in spite of the fact that hard work is essential to succeed in kung fu. I remember Steve Jobs saying that referring to clock frequency to compare the speed of a Mac to a PC was the equivalent of measuring a car’s speed via the tachometer instead of the speedometer. Engine speed is not the same as road speed. One kung fu equivalent would state that effort does not necessarily equate to results.

Logically, one would assume that the more effort you put into something the better the results but that is not always the case. The example I like to use is this - if I want to get to Jasper and I have a jet that flies the speed of sound, the speed of my jet is not as big a factor to my arrival time than the direction I choose to fly the thing. I can get to Jasper by flying east, eventually, but I will get there a lot quicker if I fly west.

We all have goals but not all of us make progress on our goals. The problem for most is that without a deadline to achieve our goals, we tend to never start working toward them. Deadlines motivate. The deadline serves the goal.  The problem that many run into is with perspective. If one is not careful one ends up serving the deadline and forgetting about the goal.

All my training goals come down to one thing - mastery of kung fu. The pushups, the form repetitions, eating healthy, meditating, reading, sleeping - everything I do is to further myself down the path to mastery. If I do not keep that goal in front of me, the deadlines I put on myself start to become my goals instead of tools to achieve my goal, and once that happens my training perspective shifts from serving my mastery goal to serving my deadlines. I do 50,000 pushups/year because I need to keep my shoulders and core strong and healthy for kung fu. If I am only worried about the numbers, I am not mindful of my technique and I actually do damage to my shoulders, ultimately going against my original goal of mastery. Forrest and trees.

“The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.” - Stephen Covey (1932 - 2012)

1 comment:

Khona said...

I know I'm guilty of this. I bounce between the trees and the forest so much I feel like a fly in a jar. Moving like crazy but getting nowhere.