Monday 14 November 2016

And Then This

So, Donald Trump won the US presidential election. A system that gives you the choice between only two candidates barely constitutes a democratic choice. When that limited choice forces you to choose between two negatives, can anyone be too surprised if people vote for change rather than the status quo?

After the massive damage Stephen Harper did to our democracy and environmental legacy, I am very concerned what damage an arrogant, narrow-minded, hate exploiting, misogynistic climate change denier sitting in the White House can do in four years. Dividing a country through fear and hate is something that will affect a society long after the leader has left office.

I was in California during the election. While there, I had the privilege of sharing a meal and evening with Jordan Fisher Smith who gifted me a copy of his new, highly recommended book - Engineering Eden.  The irony is that in the same week the US elects a president who does not believe in man's role in climate change and who has promised to wipe out the EPA and back out of the Paris Agreement, I am reading Jordan's book about the catastrophic environmental consequences of man's interference with nature.

"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters, okay? It's, like, incredible." –Donald Trump (b. 1946)

No comments: