Monday 1 August 2016

Ron Van Clief

After Bruce Lee, my childhood martial arts hero was Ron Van Clief. I used to buy any and all martial arts magazines that featured him. At the time, I would not have been able to put my finger on why he was such an icon for me but now, forty years later, he remains my hero.

Ron Van Clief’s accomplishments in film and tournament competition are well documented. What stands out and highlights my good judgement at picking such a hero, is his longevity as a martial artist.

Grand Master Van Clief competed in the tournament circuit for over forty years. At age fifty-one, he is still the oldest competitor ever to fight in the UFC. At sixty years of age, he won the All American Karate Championship. Now at seventy-three, GM Van Clief continues to compete and earn rank in Brazilian Ju Jujitsu. Amazing!

A few years ago I reached out to Grand Master Van  Cliff through the internet. Getting a personal reply from him was more than I could have hoped for, and that connection is one of the highlights of my martial arts career. Thank you Grand Master Van Clief. Your inspiration continues to guide and influence me.

“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” - C.S. Lewis (1898 - 1963)

No comments: