Sunday 10 July 2016

The Value

I teach a martial art. I don’t teach fighting. The discipline I have to apply to master the art is where the value of the art resides. I use the physical discipline of kung fu to hone my body and mind so that I not only evolve physically but emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually as well. This is the value of an art and this is the difference between being a martial artist and only “practicing” a martial art.

As an instructor, it is difficult for me to inspire my students to look beyond the kicking and punching. Each of my black belts, and potential black belts, must journal and log 1000 acts of kindness. They help fund the education of three African school girls. They engage as activists in their community, taking responsibility for the change they want to see. Above all, I try to inspire them to reflect before they react.

Our world is increasingly becoming polarized by fear unmindful reactions. I see martial arts, true martial arts, as being more relevant than ever in an increasingly volatile society.

Chasing after the world brings chaos. Allowing it all to come to me brings peace.
- Zen Gatha

No comments: