Sunday 3 July 2016

A Day To Remember

Canada Day is one of my favourite days of the year. It is a day that I always spend with family and those I love. I truly appreciate every opportunity Canada affords me and I am proud that my country’s government is finally setting an example of tolerance and compassion in a world divided by nationalistic propaganda and fear.

We did something different this year for Canada Day. Silent River Kung Fu spent the entire day performing Dragon Dances, Lion Dances, and kung fu demonstrations as part of Spruce Grove’s Canada Day celebrations. I think we set a new school record by performing five lion dances and five demonstrations with three dragon dances in around five hours. The day represented a huge commitment from my I Ho Chuan team and their families. You guys are family to me and I loved every moment that I got to share with you all.

The gratitude I feel for the experience of the day is immense. Everyone who shared the day with me added something special to make the day all the more perfect. I do have to single out Sifu Randy Langner for his engagement and leadership throughout the day. Randy, you were a great sport and it is because of you that I have a memory anchor to keep the experience of the day for the rest of my life. You are one of the most dedicated students I have and the respect I have for you is endless.

“When I’m in Canada, I feel this is what the world should be like.” - Jane Fonda (b. 1937)

1 comment:

Tania Brinker said...

It was an amazing day!