Sunday 15 March 2015

The Power of Engagement

Engagement is the one precept of mastery whose importance is most overlooked. This is so often the case, the most simple and obvious become the neglected. We usually take the basics for granted and it is that tendency that makes mastery so elusive.

My success has always been tied to my level of engagement. Staying engaged is a conscientious effort. Through consistent engagement I have learned many things and have realized many opportunities.

My constant commitment to mastery reminds me that everyone is a teacher. My first UBBT mentors were not even black belts. Chris Thorp and Debby Young were the first non black belt participants in the Ultimate Black Belt Test, and it was their inspiration that motivated me to take the test myself. It was not their accomplishments or results that inspired me, it was their engaged journey.

UBBT 6 was a huge success for me. Massive knee issues threatened to sabotage my best intentions but my consistent engagement and commitment to the process made it one of my most successful years ever. A big part of my success was because of fellow UBBT alumni Chris Feldt. Chris and I kept each other engaged throughout our UBBT 6 tenure by staying in constant contact. Despite the large team, there were times when it felt like it was just Chris and I because it was the two of us who consistently journalled and publicly supported each other throughout the year. The two of us live in different countries on opposite ends of the continent but Chris became like a brother to me. Such was our level of engagement.

Without a strong engagement I would have missed out on the opportunities that the UBBT opened up for me. Without the UBBT I would not have the relationship I enjoy with Tom Callos. He has been a massive influence in my life and I consider him a dear, valued friend. Because of the UBBT I have met some amazing martial artists and human beings, none more important to me than Master Dave McNeil. His example of engaged compassion continues to be an inspiring example that guides me everyday. I want to be just like him when I grow up.

There are many outside factors that affect my motivation that I have little control over. However no matter what is going on in my life, I always have complete control over my choice to stay engaged.

“Eighty percent of success is showing up.” - Woody Allen (b. 1935)

No comments: