Sunday 8 March 2015

Looking in the Mirror

This past week social media has been abuzz over Jim Prentice’s comment that Albertans should look into the mirror if they want to understand the current fiscal mess the province finds itself in. I understand the rage people are feeling that someone leading the political party that has governed the province for the past forty years could suggest the problem does not rest solely with the government. Yet Prentice’s words have the ring of truth.

I don’t know if our society has always been this way but it certainly has been the way it is for my entire adult life. We are not accustomed to accepting responsibility, blame is always to be found elsewhere. We’re much more comfortable in the role of victims than being accountable for our situation. Jim Prentice did not seize power, he and his predecessors have been in power for forty years because we have chosen to give them that power. Stephen Harper, Jim Prentice, all our political leaders have influence only because of us. If we’re going to allow fear to rule our decisions, we need to accept the responsibility for those decisions. We need to look into the mirror.

Ownership is empowering. My black belts are taught to be control freaks, to take ownership for every aspect of their lives. Influence is a conscientious choice. Keeping that fact front and centre ensures the decisions I make reflect my values, not my fears.

“I call on people to be 'obsessed citizens,' forever questioning and asking for accountability. That's the only chance we have today of a healthy and happy life.” - Ai Weiwei (b. 1957)

1 comment:

Ian Repay said...

Bravo! I agree 100% with what you wrote.