Sunday 25 January 2015

Taking Ownership

We’re refining our Chinese New Year lion dance and our banquet demo bit by bit, week by week. With less than four weeks until the new year, we’ve entered crunch time. Part of the appeal of this time of year for me is that there never is enough time. I’m always left with the feeling that if we had an extra fourteen days we could really pull off something extraordinary. Yet I know that if I had another fourteen days the demo and dance would get that much more ambitious and two weeks would no longer be enough. It is my nature to push limits.

Pushing my limits requires a mindset that narrows my focus and increases my efficiency if I am going to succeed. Give me too much time and I will pursue multiple options. I may work just as hard and make progress on multiple fronts, but I will never complete the project. The thing about mastery is that it is a relentless state of pursuit. My ultimate goals continue to evolve as I myself evolve. There is no end to my mastery journey. When one trail becomes familiar and defined, another more interesting path appears. Setting a deadline keeps me on the path I have set to achieve my immediate goal. Without a deadline my immediate goal would just become one of many interests that hold my attention at any given time. It is in my nature to pursue shiny objects.

Being of the nature to push limits and pursue shiny objects, achieving success is always a challenge. Success is all about bringing a project to fruition. I recognize that any chance of success is affected by my ability to take consistent action. Lucky for me it is in my nature to take ownership.

Taking ownership means I have intent behind my actions. No effort is without mindful presence. I am constantly measuring my progress and adjusting my strategy to improve the return on my efforts.

Taking ownership means I recognize the value I bring to a project. When I am part of a team, I recognize that the value I bring to the team is only present if I am present. I recognize every absence, every substandard effort, and every wasted moment will set the project back.

Taking ownership means I leave nothing to chance and take complete responsibility for all outcomes.

“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does. It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.” - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905 - 1980)

No comments: