Sunday 17 November 2013

Transformation

I conducted my nineteenth black belt grading last night. A black belt grading is about evaluation and transformation. The candidates prepare for their grading for years with their final year being dedicated to mastery. The grading day is all about the transformation to black belt. The grading day is also an opportunity to evaluate the efficacy of the school’s curriculum through the performance of the candidates. A failure at a black belt grading is as much a reflection of the chief instructor as it is of the candidate. No matter the outcome, a black belt grading is an enormous opportunity.

A person dedicated to mastery has my respect. I know the discipline that is required to realize the payoff for all the hard work. I’ve seen many give up before achieving their goals. Not following through on your commitments dooms all the time invested to become a sacrifice.

I appreciate the time I got to spend with my candidates yesterday. It is inspiring to be in the presence of people who are dedicated to a higher ideal by striving to improve their own situation without resentment.

“On the path to mastery, erase any resentment you have towards masters. Develop compassion for yourself so that you can be in the presence of masters and grow from the experience. Rather than comparing yourself and resenting people who have mastery, remain open and receptive; let the experience be like the planting of a seed within you—with nourishment, it will grow into your own individual mastery.” - Stewart Emery

No comments: