Sunday 10 November 2013

Scorpion Nature

There is a fable about a scorpion and a frog. The scorpion wishes to cross a pond but cannot find a way to safely cross. So the scorpion approaches the frog and asks, “Frog, my friend, would you please take me across the pond?” The frog replies, “I would very much like to help you but what if you sting me during the trip? I will die.” The scorpion says, “Why would I do that? If I sting you, you’ll die but I will die too.” The frog feels reassured and says, “Okay, that sounds reasonable. I do not mind carrying you across the pond. You can jump up.” The scorpion jumps on the back of the frog and the frog jumps into the water and begins to swim.  Everything is going well until, halfway across the pond, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog, deep in pain, cries out to the scorpion as he begins to drown, “Why did you sting me? Now I’ll die, and you are going to die too.” The scorpion replies, “I know that , but I cannot help myself. It is my nature.”

Everyone has a scorpion nature. We all do and say things that fail to serve anyone, including ourselves, but yet we do them regardless. It is our nature.

We can change our nature. I have students who dwell on the negatives. Rather than concentrate on what they need to do to succeed, they resent the success they see others achieve.  Careful attention to the words we choose to use and the  emotions we choose to release can change the way we think and the way we interpret the world. They key is choice. It is always ours.

“Smile, breathe, and go slowly.” - Thich Nhat Hanh (b. 1926)

No comments: