Sunday 1 September 2013

Gratitude - Brian Macdonald


It has been over thirty years since I took my first lesson in kung fu. Kung fu has been a huge part of my life ever since and I am very grateful for the people the art has brought into my life.

I first met Brian Macdonald around twenty years ago. I had sought out certification under Grand Master Margie Hilbig and Brian was her right hand man at that time. Margie spent around five minutes with me that first day and then passed me on to Brian. I was immediately struck with how engaged he was. His manner is such that he can immediately put anyone at ease. Little did I know that I had just met the person who was going to become one of the most important and influential people in my life, and a trusted lifelong friend.

Sigung Macdonald is one of the most skilled martial artists I have ever met. I know that if he ever reads this he will cringe. His humility makes him an avid promoter of others and reluctant to accept praise for himself. I think it is that humility that drew me to him as it is an attribute I greatly admire.

I am grateful to have Brian Macdonald in my life as an example of what it means to be a dedicated student of the art. Anyone who has been on the receiving end of his flying spinning back fist knows first hand what blinding terror feels like. We also are blessed to have experienced, a moment later, the absolute relief and joy that comes when you realize you are still alive. Despite his advanced rank and skill, Sigung Macdonald sees himself as a student first and a teacher second.

Kung fu has blessed me by bringing many amazing people into my life and none are more important than Brian Macdonald.

“In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” - Albert Schweitzer

No comments: