Monday 6 May 2013

If I Had Only One . . .


My one wish would be that all my students, especially their parents, would come to realize the value of activism and community engagement.

I've never had a parent approach me to teach their children kung fu because they want them to learn how to fight. Parents want the self esteem and confidence that comes from the training so that their children will become leaders and not followers. Parents want their children to learn how to handle bullies, not become one themselves. None of this is possible unless I am able to cultivate empathy in my students.

I have around 300 students and my goal each year is to inspire them all to fundraise $100 each for charity. I try to be very clear about that - $100/student, not $30000 overall. We're not going to change the world with any money we raise, but we just might with the awareness and compassion we inspire.

Is the world going to change if everyone just falls in line and takes care of number one? Is there not value to be found in seeing the world through another's eyes? Do we all not benefit by showing compassion as well as expressing gratitude?

I am not sure the specifics of where I am failing when it comes to inspiring my students to become the change they want to see. At times the message seems so simple and obvious yet traction with this empathy tool remains elusive.

"If you light a lamp for someone else it will also brighten your path." - the Buddha (563 - 483 B.C.)

No comments: