Sunday 9 December 2012

Because


I have been thinking a lot lately about why I do what I do. Not thinking in terms of wondering why, but rather in terms on how to logically and concisely convey my thoughts about this to others. This has always been a challenge for me. My thought process barely ventures beyond the abstract. This can make it difficult to get others on to the same page as myself.

I have strong feelings about activism, freedom, and human rights. My opinions obviously conflict with those of many people. Yet despite philosophical differences, there should be common ground in which we all can find instances where we agree. Whether or not you agree with your leader’s actions, you should never allow freedom and the democratic process to be compromised - no matter what. Once accepted, any compromise becomes the norm. Are you sure you are willing to accept that norm when you don’t agree with your leader’s actions? Or better yet, are you willing to accept this autocratic power to reside with the future leaders who are, as of now, an unknown quantity?

It is disheartening to see how much people are willing to compromise on their values as long as they feel the ends justify the means. If we are willing to give up our values for any reason, can we really consider them values?

“All compromise is based on give and take, but there can be no give and take on fundamentals. Any compromise on mere fundamentals is a surrender. For it is all give and not take.” - Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

No comments: