Saturday 1 September 2012

Joe Lewis (1944 - 2012)


Joe Lewis passed away yesterday morning. As I look back at his career and the impact he has had on the martial arts, I feel an intense sense of loss.

I can’t think of anyone who was more intimidating with his presence than Joe Lewis. The man was huge and moved like a cat. He is considered the greatest karate fighter of all time and from what I have seen, it is a title he definitely deserved.

Joe Lewis was a great teacher. I never had the opportunity to train with the man but I have watched him teach his tactics and was reminded of the late Grand Master Edmund Parker in how he could break down a technique into its raw components.

Grand Master Lewis lost his thirteen month battle with brain cancer but his determination to teach throughout his chemotherapy and radiation treatments was  an inspirational attestation of how fierce a fighter he was. Simultaneously it serves as an important reminder that none of us get out alive.

“Every man dies - Not every man really lives.” - William Ross Wallace (1819 - 1881)

No comments: