Sunday 3 June 2012

Work In Progress

The longer I apply myself to mastery I become increasingly aware of how important mindfulness and consistent action are to success. Mindful, consistent action leads to incremental progression and that adds up to big results over time.

Over the past four Ultimate Black Belt Tests that I have been involved in, I have got more things wrong than right. I’ve never been a stranger to mistakes and have made more than the average person. I’ve gone through all the crippling thoughts and emotions that come from facing those mistakes and taking responsibility. Guilt and regret could become overwhelming if I did not like myself. Yes, I am still a work in progress but despite all my imperfections and faults, I like who I am. It would be nice to be perfect and not have a past filled with mistakes but every one of my experiences, including all those mistakes, have brought me to where I am here and now.

If I keep moving forward and do not let challenges or setbacks cripple me, I am guaranteed to be a different person when I go to bed tonight than I was when I woke up this morning. That is all I ask from every day.

“Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.” - Conrad Hilton (1887 - 1979)

3 comments:

Brandi Beckett said...

Just what I needed to hear. Thank you. You inspire me.

Unknown said...

I don't want to learn from someone who is perfect: they're boring and do not have empathy. I like to learn from people who make mistakes and learn from them. Why? They walk their walk and can show others to do the same. A perfect person can't do that.

Unknown said...

Yes...what Ms. Donahue wrote!