Sunday 17 June 2012

We All Fall Down


One of my business role models, a pioneer in the martial arts community, took his own life this week. His reputation’s imminent ruination and the inevitable consequences were more than he was willing to accept. His family, friends, and business associates will have to face the fallout without him.

My black belts are taught to revere the rank they have earned. They don’t own the rank, they share it. I remind them that their black belt is not only defined by the scope of their accomplishments but also the quality of their character, and the character of every person who achieved the rank before them. Consequently, their black belt will be continuously redefined by the character of every person who achieves the rank after them.

The rank of black belt comes with both privileges and responsibility. Most people respect the sweat and blood that went into making my white belt black, and trust me as a leader. They tend to give me this respect and trust without me having to first earn either. I know I am far from perfect and that I get more things wrong than I get right, so I am careful not to buy into the hype. Respect and trust have to be continuously earned. They may be easily given but once they are lost, they are almost impossible to earn back.

Accepting the responsibility that comes with the rank of black belt is not for the weak hearted. When one of us lets the rank down, the rest of us need to step up our game to repair the damage.

“Don’t consider your reputation and you may anything you like.” - Chinese Proverb

No comments: