Sunday 22 January 2012

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Today is the final day of the lunar year, the Year of the Dragon begins tomorrow. Chinese New Year is an important festival for a kung fu school and the next few weeks are going to keep us busy with lion dances, demonstrations, and celebrations.

The new year brings an opportunity to begin anew. The festivities of the lunar new year are about leaving the negative behind and starting the year off right. My plans are to start the new year strong beginning with 100 push ups and sit ups at midnight. By the end of the day I will complete at least 1000 of each. The pride of this accomplishment will be tempered with limiting my caloric intake for the day to less than 1000 calories to keep me mindful and appreciative of my privileged life.

It is no coincidence that my student UBBT team, the I Ho Chuan, begin their year-long challenge tomorrow. They will be leading my school for the next year through the power of example by mindfully embracing mastery. I am looking forward to sharing this journey with them.

“Welcome every morning with a smile. Look on the new day as another special gift from your Creator, another golden opportunity to complete what you were unable to finish yesterday. Be a self-starter. Let your first hour set the theme of success and positive action that is certain to echo through your entire day. Today will never happen again. Don't waste it with a false start or no start at all. You were not born to fail.” - Og Mandino (1923 - 1996)

1 comment:

Sara said...

May the coming year bring you peace, love, and happiness.