Sunday 17 July 2011

Interbeing

The longer I train in kung fu, the greater I see the connection between mindfulness and mastery. When I really think about it, I see mindfulness as the key to solving almost any problem.

With mindfulness I tend to hear what people are saying rather than interpret what they are saying. I learn so much more when I don’t impose my paradigms upon the empirical data I accumulate.

With mindfulness my eye for detail is more refined. I see things for how they are without allowing my ego to distort the reality. Applying an egoless eye for detail to my training allows me to accept my present limitations and begin the process of eliminating them or adjusting my expectations.

With mindfulness the reflection in the mirror is an accurate and honest reflection of myself, not just physically but mentally and spiritually as well. This honest insight gives me the opportunity to embrace what I like about myself and the insight I need to eventually eliminate every skeleton from my closet. Stress disappears when I accept who I am rather than spend energy trying to hide it. If there is something I feel the need to hide, I bring it out into the light so that I am motivated to eliminate it.

With mindfulness I am totally aware of the consequences of my actions as well as my inactions. This awareness empowers me by reminding me of the capacity I possess to initiate change. The world around me is a product of my creation.

With mindfulness I am reminded of the miracle of life and the interconnectedness of everything. Awareness of interbeing makes me happy by giving my life consequence.

“You are me, and I am you. Isn’t it obvious that we “inter-are”? You cultivate the flower within yourself, so that I will be beautiful. I transform the garbage within myself, so that you will not have to suffer. I support you, you support me. I am in this world to offer you peace, you are in this world to bring me joy.” - Thich Nhat Hanh (b. 1926)

No comments: