Sunday 23 January 2011

Appreciate What You Have

Chinese New Year is approaching and so I am entering my busiest time of year. I’ve had the kind of week that was made for the Ultimate Black Belt Test. Always adapting, I’ve had to put a few projects on hold while I shift my priorities toward preparing for the festival. I am constantly reminded that what we do when life interferes with our best laid plans is where mastery can be found.


A friend of mine had to move to a new home this weekend. This summer he was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease) and the symptoms have progressed to the point where he has to start adjusting for the consequences. I have thought of little else than his diagnosis for the past six months and this weekend’s event weighs heavily upon my mind. He has lived a healthy, productive life but some things just cannot be predicted nor prevented. We all take our health for granted and a significantly shortened life expectancy is not something many of us even consider. Watching someone face a challenge such as this forces reality upon us.


Every moment is precious.


“The first wealth is health.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

No comments: