Sunday 12 December 2010

I Like To Wear Pumpkins On My Feet

As I watch my newest cat watch me watching him, I can’t help but smile at the serendipitous opportunities life continues to throw at me. Milo, the cat I am currently losing a staring contest with, has been gaining strength and weight everyday since I adopted him a month ago. The vet estimates his age to be about 17 or 18 years old and in his emaciated state, he looks every second of it. He wasn’t expected to live more than a few weeks but as things are going now, I am pretty sure I will be sharing Christmas with him and maybe a good part of 2011.

Milo’s Christmas gift to me has been the gift of perspective. He clearly accepts everything life throws his way and he makes the best of every moment he has. As with any cat, he doesn’t really convey gratitude and acts as if he decided to adopt me and let me feed and care for him. I have to respect his unshakeable confidence and his faith in the good of man.

I am inspired.

“Bunny slippers remind me of who I am. You can't get a swelled head if you wear bunny slippers. You can't lose your sense of perspective and start acting like a star or a rich lady if you keep on wearing bunny slippers. Besides, bunny slippers give me confidence because they're so jaunty. They make a statement; they say, 'Nothing the world does to me can ever get me so far down that I can't be silly and frivolous.' If I died and found myself in Hell, I could endure the place if I had bunny slippers.” - Dean Koontz (b. 1945)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love to hear Milo's progress and I think he will be around for a while. Cats are interesting creatures as they have a perspective on things an understanding that us humans will never figure out. Milo picked a great person to adopt as you are both gifts to each other.
Sherri Donohue