Sunday 22 August 2010

Power of Example

I’ve made some major changes in my life over the past couple of months. My focus has shifted from my training and personal goals to address long standing issues in other areas of my life. I have been reminded of something one of my first kung fu instructors had tried to teach me long ago. He had asked me what was the most important thing in my life. I had answered that it was my daughters. “No”, he said, “It is your health.” At the time I disagreed with him but now I finally understand what he was getting at.


As a parent it is easy to forget to take care of ourselves when it comes to our kids. We sacrifice so much to provide for our children and to be there for them as much as possible. One of the greatest legacies we can leave our children can be found in the power of our example. As my daughters’ independence grows, I see the influence the example I set for them in how they approach challenges in their lives. There is passion in their actions and confidence in their deeds.


The lifestyle I continue to enjoy can be directly attributed to my health and my health is directly related to my lifestyle. My kung fu has given me so much but the greatest gift it has given me is the enrichment of my children’s future.


Thank you Sifu Shergold.


“Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means.” - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

No comments: