Sunday 25 July 2010

Balance

This past month I have been reminded how difficult it is to maintain balance in your life. It is always a struggle to prioritize, or even recognize what should be your priority, when each aspect of your life is interwoven within the fabric of your life’s other aspects. At the end of the day, no matter what decisions you make, there are always consequences - both good and bad.
I have never been one to second guess my decisions, at least the decisions that have been made for the right reasons. Yes, I have made some spectacularly bad ones in my lifetime and hindsight is always a vicious undertaking but bad decisions for altruistic reasons happen and as such I accept them and move on.

What I have always had difficulty accepting is that no matter my motives for the decisions I make, there will always be people who will interpret them in the least favourable light. So the challenge for me is to keep my head up and carry on, if my conscience is clear, and not pull a David Brent by ensuring my decisions are not influenced by the pursuit of popularity but rather by what I truly believe.
“Popularity is not leadership.” - Richard Marcinko (b. 1940)

No comments: