Sunday 22 February 2009

I Am Project - Connected

Over the past couple of decades, I have belonged to almost every martial arts business association available. I have never been a business orientated instructor but I have always recognized that my ability to impact my students, and thus the world around me, is tied to the success of my business. Even though my school was continuing to prosper, I felt a total disconnect from the martial arts industry. The industry’s values were not my own and their definition of success did not coincide with mine. What is disturbing to me is that this disconnection I felt did not manifest into something tangible that I could put my finger on. It was only an obscure shape just beyond my peripheral vision that caused a constant ache in my soul.

On the morning of December 21, 2006, I finally had this disconnection completely defined. My definition came in the form of a posting Tom Callos placed on the Martial Arts Business listserve in response to a post concerning strategy as applied to warrior-citizens. Tom’s passion for redefining the martial arts industry poured out of his response. Here was someone who felt as I and who was actually leading a movement that was redefining my industry into something of true value and relevance.

I joined Tom’s association The 100. that day, the UBBT a couple of years later, and I have to say my optimism has never been more vibrant. I am surrounded by like-minded people whose passion mirrors mine, making our collective voice very powerful. This connection, or perhaps lack of disconnection, is so important if one wishes to live a life of consequence.

When I am connected I recognize my responsibility in creating a world whose values reflect my own. This connection keeps me cognizant of the fact that while I have surrounded myself with positive, enlightened people, I have to keep my eyes focused beyond the horizon. I don’t want to get trapped in a cycle of preaching to the choir. If I am connected I will not get complacent and I hopefully will stay vigilant for opportunities to inspire others outside my immediate realm of influence to become more active in the cause for global change.

“When we get too caught up in the busyness of the world, we lose connection with one another - and ourselves.” Jack Kornfield (b. 1945)

1 comment:

Khona said...

I think that you not only surround yourself with like-minded people, you create, or plant may be a better word, the passion you see in those people.