Sunday 5 October 2008

Off and Running

Had a pretty good week this week. I was fortunate to have spent some time talking to Coach Tom about the student members I am bringing on to the UBBT and our conversation really helped solidify my focus and ultimately, theirs. This project speaks to me on so many levels but the biggest value it brings to my kung fu is that it gives me an excuse to train. Having a full time job while running a full time school makes for a fairly hectic daily schedule when one is also dealing with personal challenges along the way. I have never lacked for excuses to not spend more time on my own personal development so having this personal mandate for the next sixteen or so months is a great opportunity for me to grow and more importantly, do it guilt free. Having a bunch of my students share this journey with me will definitely maximize the value of the experience.

I was actually standing outside Canada Post yesterday when Master Dave McNeill called to see if I had received my cane shipment from him, I have to tell you, his canes are works of art. Every time I have the opportunity to speak with him he freely offers his expert advice and assistance. What has always impressed me with Master McNeill is how genuine he is. He always remembers our previous conversations and my personal situation so his advice is never blind or empty. As always, I got some great support concerning the care for my reconstructed knee that seems to be taking forever to get back online.

My conversation with Master McNeill reminded me that the chances of anyone completing UBBT 6 without suffering major setbacks is unlikely. I actually have an advantage by going in with a hobbled knee in that my whole approach and plan will take this limitation into account so I am definitely mentally ready for this.

“Today, I begin my “black belt test” again. My life is my test.”
- Tom Callos

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watching someone like you, with your insanely busy schedule take on the UBBT with a no excuses attitude really puts all my pathetic excuses in perspective

Khona said...

Here here.