Sunday 17 August 2008

Me

I spent a large portion of this week doing something different. It’s been a long time since I have done something like this and it is definitely something I need to do more often. I tend to spend most of my time trying to make a difference in so many different areas that sometimes it can be difficult to break the pattern of neglect when it comes to taking care of my own personal needs. I always make a point to remind myself that if I don’t take care of me, I will not be able to fulfill my responsibilities to others. But as with most things for me, it is easier said than done.

I met with Brian and Riki, my instructor and his wife, twice in the past week. I only stopped in for a short visit to say hi and ended up staying for hours talking with them and sharing some of my burdens. I realized how blessed I am to have people like them in my life whose unconditional support is always there if and when I need it.

Everyone has specific people that we turn to in times of need but I wonder if we tend to turn to these specific people too exclusively. I know how easy it is to feel isolated and alone when those specific people are perhaps part of my problems. Who do I turn to then? There is a lot of help available, I just need to keep that in front of me and remember to reach out and ask for it. I received some help and advice from Hal Gustin this week, Master Dave McNeill a couple of months ago, and a bunch of encouragement from so many others. The challenges I faced this week were a great reminder of the compassion and goodness that exists in the martial arts world. The willingness of so many close people like Brian and Riki and virtual strangers like Hal and Master Dave to step up and lend a hand is spectacularly encouraging.

If I hope to stay healthy over the long haul, I need to make a concerted effort to recognize when I need help and then take the time and initiative to seek it out. I need to take care of me.

“If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”
Isaac Newton (1643 - 1727)

1 comment:

Danielle Edge said...

Your posts always come at the perfect time. It makes a big difference knowing I'm not the only one feeling this way. Thank you.