Sunday 27 April 2008

Alabama Perspective

It’s been a week now since Alabama and despite the backlog of work waiting for me, I am happy to say the clarity I developed from the experience is still intact. I am way behind on the goals I set for myself upon my return but the focus and resolve are strong enough to give me the best possible chance of following through after the dust settles.

I found the whole experience quite overwhelming. I am a very shy person socially so this trip was way out of my comfort zone. I find it very difficult to initiate conversation with new acquaintances so I am hoping to attend more events like this so that my new acquaintances from this trip evolve into old friends. One of my major goals to manifest from this experience is to work on my social skills. Mine have definitely atrophied over the past couple of decades of hanging around martial artists. We tend to be a unique bunch whom outsiders find it difficult to relate. I have always found it easier to listen than to talk unless I am leading a class. Time to expand my horizons.

My one regret of this trip is that my social awkwardness prevented me from maximizing my opportunity to connect with so many amazing people and tapping more into all that communal knowledge. I mentioned to Chris how envious I was of him and Debby for the amazing experiences they are garnering at such an early stage in their martial arts careers. To have personal access to such people as Masters Dave McNeill and Tom Callos is an opportunity that many of us never realize in a lifetime. I hope you guys keep reminding yourselves of that and always appreciate it.

Beyond the obvious personal soul quenching that an experience like this provides, there were so many other more tangible benefits. On my fourteen hour trip back to Canada, I completed a seven page list of ideas and goals that were generated by my experience in Alabama. Talk about being rejuvenated personally, professionally, and spiritually.

The biggest, unexpected revelation I received was the value of structure. Maybe not so much a revelation since I stress this point with my students all the time, but more of a reinforcement. Having had my day structured so minutely from 6 AM until 10 PM everyday provided untold benefits. My focus and clarity were beyond anything I have felt for years. Bad habits and cravings were all non existent in that environment. I definitely learned a lot about myself and what makes me tick. This self realization will go a long way in helping me achieve my goals.

I’m really looking forward to attending next year and hopefully having two healthy knees under me so that I can contribute at a much higher level.

“Take advantage of every opportunity to practice your communication skills so that when important occasions arise, you will have the gift, the style, the sharpness, the clarity, and the emotions to affect other people.”
- John Rohn (b. 1930)

No comments: