Sunday 18 April 2021

Needs and Wants


As I age I can recognize the difference between needs and wants. When I was younger and chasing my nest egg, I thought that was a need. I recognize now it was a want. Needs make me happy. Wants make me think they will make me happy.

I know I would be much more happy today if I would have understood the difference between my needs and my wants at an earlier age. It is amazing how time and experience gives one clarity.

I do not need much. This is reflected by how I choose to live my life. I am not accumulating a lot of stuff. In fact, I continue to reduce my possessions every year. Simply living is a matter of living simply. I no longer chase, I experience.

“While they have not got their aims, their anxiety is how to get them. When they have got them, their anxiety is lest they should lose them.” - Confucius (551 - 479 BC)




No comments: