Sunday 20 December 2020

This is Different


In the past, Christmas break has been a time of reflection for me. Chinese New Year is only weeks away and it will mark the end point of my training year and the beginning of another. Right about now is the time when I measure the outcome of my year’s efforts toward mastery and begin setting my plan for the upcoming year. Stating the obvious, this past year has been unlike any other.

The pandemic has forced me to adapt in ways that I have never had to adapt before. Adapt to what? Everything. Nothing is the same, everything is different. How I train, how I teach, how I earn my living, how I acquire my food, how I access healthcare, everything. Heck, the way I walk my dog has even changed.

Yes, adapt to this new world I did. In a year that seems like it has just started and now it is coming to an end, I have accomplished more than in any other year of my life. I accomplished most of what I set out to accomplish and then threw 1000% more onto my plate and accomplished that too. Despite spending most of the year feeling out of control and holding on by the skin of my teeth, I find myself continually looking for, and taking on, more challenges.

I am not sorry to have 2020 being in my rear-view mirror next week, but . . . I have to acknowledge that in a year full of lemons, I have been able to make an awful lot of lemonade.

“If you know how to make good use of the mud, you can grow beautiful lotuses.” - Thich Nhat Hanh (b. 1926)

No comments: