Sunday 23 December 2018

Christmas

I find myself wondering what Christmas is. From all appearances, it is a festival of capitalism in all its glory with very little to do with the Christian faith.

Looking at the world today I see billionaire ‘Christian’ politicians promoting hate and intolerance while their foreign policies produce war, famine, to ensure that their own personal financial interests are reinforced. At the same time, people I respect, are celebrating their ‘Christian’ faith at the same time they are speaking out against helping the refugees they have helped produce by supporting nationalistic rhetoric. When did Christmas become such a mess? I don’t know but it has always been like this during my lifetime.

Christmas should be about peace, tolerance, and good will. Shame on us.

“Maybe Christmas, the Grinch thought, doesn’t come from a store.” - Dr. Suess (1904 - 1991)

No comments: