Sunday 9 September 2018

How Much?

I have spent years considering the possibility of quitting my job. I spent a lot time contemplating how much money I would need to take care of my monthly financial obligations if I lost my main source of income. Mortgages, groceries, utilities, the list goes on. Working or not, those expenses are a monthly reality. My estimates did not stop there. I had to consider the possibility of interest rates going up, the economy crashing, and how world politics would affect my situation.


The longer I analyzed the risk, the more confused I got. I came to realize that the reality of building a nest egg large enough to quench my fears would mean working until I was in my grave. So at the end of January, I took a blind leap and pulled the plug on my job and ventured into the unknown. Last week I surpassed the seven month mark on my big risk venture. My verdict? I need a lot less than I thought I did.

What if we all realized that we actually had enough? Would we all start living and working to feed our needs or would we continue to work to feed our greed? I fear there will always be those who feel they never have enough. I am not sure how much longer the earth can hold on while they try to work that out.

“For greed all nature is too little.” - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

No comments: