Sunday 28 May 2017

Infinite Gratitude

Thirty years. Wow. It is hard to believe that it has been that long. I must have only been 4 years old when I started this. Yesterday Silent River Kung Fu was recognized for thirty years of service in Stony Plain. Thirty years may be behind me on this journey but never once was I alone.

I am surrounded and supported by people who are passionate about what we do. I have black belts working side by side with me who inspire me everyday with their dedication to the art as well as their ability to keep their family first and foremost in their priorities while maintaining a high level of engagement in their kung fu. Recognizing how our decisions about our own training affect those who look up to us is one of the most powerful self defence gifts we can give our children.

We are living in a time where the term martial arts is being applied in ways it was never intended to be used. The definition has become so narrowed that the value of training in the martial arts has been reduced to how this or that would work on the street. I am grateful for those in my life who are able to connect the dots and recognize that weaponizing yourself or your children is not a responsible or logical approach to self defence nor has this approach ever been the main focus of traditional martial arts.

“The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants.” - Gichin Funakoshi (1868-1957)

No comments: