Sunday 14 February 2016

Black Belt 2016

One more week to go before our Chinese New Year Banquet and four new black belts come into the Silent River Kung Fu fold. The process of grading someone to the rank of black belt is arduous and never perfect. There is always, to one degree or another, a leap of faith required. Master Hilbig’s wisdom imparted to me: “First you give them the black belt, then they earn it.”

Rank in the martial arts is very subjective and there are different standards in every style and every school. The Chinese ideal continues to hold value and, for me, makes logical sense. Traditionally when queried about their rank, a Chinese stylist should respond with how long they have studied, what style they are studying, who they are studying under, and an offer to step on the mats.

I hold black belt rank in multiple organizations from first degree to seventh degree. The actual rank listed on my certificates is of minor value when compared to the signatures on the certificates. Having established Masters and Grand Masters endorse me is the best feedback on the efficacy of my training that I could ask for.

So what is a black belt? As a person entrusted to uphold the integrity of the rank, that is a question I never stop asking myself. I expect a black belt to be relentless in their pursuit of mastery but better yet, I expect a black belt to reject mediocrity. Quantifying something like that is very difficult. It took me a couple of decades to embrace Master Hilbig’s wisdom, but I now understand why such a leap of faith is required.

“It does not matter how slowly you go so long you do not stop.” - Confucius (551 - 479 BC)

No comments: