Sunday 2 August 2015

Power of Engagement

It has been a good week. I was able to spend some quality time with a few students who constantly remind me of the power the art wields in helping someone change their life. I also had the opportunity to spend some personal time with my instructor this week. Master Macdonald has been my friend and mentor for over twenty years now and his ability to inspire me has not waned one bit.

Yesterday provided the perfect finish to a spectacular week. I shared the day with a group of incredibly engaged individuals. I have been training hard for most of my life and I have not found anything that can emulate the clarity and inspiration that comes from being around people dedicated to mastery.

The parade in Alberta Beach was an absolute blast. The crowd was loud and incredibly positive. Their engagement mirrored our own. Our demo after the parade was a whole lot of fun. In my early years as an instructor, my demos were always about entertaining the public and promoting the school. Now that I am older (and hopefully wiser) I see so much more value in demonstrations. My first and foremost focus is using the event as a tool to help engage my students. My emphasis is now on entertaining ourselves and just experiencing the moment. Sure I care what everyone else thinks but that is never on my mind during an event. It’s just about being mindfully present and staying aware of who I am with and what we are doing.

Finishing yesterday with a BBQ was perfect. Our performance was done and any anxiety surrounding it was also done. I have come to treasure these personal moments that we share as a family. Kung fu is the catalyst that brought us together but that sense of family is keeping us together.

“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” - Lou Holtz (b. 1937)

1 comment:

Yitzik said...

It truly was a great day.