Sunday 17 May 2015

Something Old, Something New

The tailbone issues that have been preventing me from participating in any type of rolling or anything resembling a sit-up for the past few months has given me the opportunity to revisit some old lessons with a new perspective fostered from added experience. 

A lesson learned as a teenager has many more layers that are only brought to the surface through experience. For decades I have been unaware of the treasure trove of knowledge that has been within me yet hidden and inaccessible.

I now understand how frustrating it must have been for my instructors to watch me mishandle the information they put in front of me. We always lament that if we knew as a teenager what we know now, but It turns out that I actually did know it as a teenager. I just didn’t know I knew it. Such is the value of experience.

The depths of a single lesson can be infinite. One just needs to open their mind and pay attention so that when experience makes the lesson more pertinent, the information is accessible.

“Experience is the teacher of all things.” - Julius Caesar (100 BC - 44 BC)

No comments: