Sunday 11 May 2014

Engaged Leadersip

Engaged is one of my favourite words. No matter what I am talking about, qualifying my subject with the word engaged adds a level of clarity that is difficult to misinterpret.

Everyone, at one time or another, will find themselves going through the motions. My best work is never accomplished when I am in that state. Sure the work may get done but the results and benefit are less than stellar. I constantly remind my students to get engaged in their training if they want quality results. More often than not, success is just an attitude adjustment away.

When I talk about taking my kung fu out of the kwoon and into the world, I am talking about engaged kung fu. There is no doubt that my life has been defined by my kung fu and I have benefited from applying the art to all aspects of my life. Engaged kung fu is about applying what I have learned from my training to every experience and every situation. Engaged kung fu is all about the value of action and the power of example.

No one who has ever earned a black belt would ever deny the value kung fu has brought to their personal lives. That value is obvious. Defining the value of a black belt by personal accomplishments alone devalues the rank. If a black belt applies his knowledge and is an engaged leader, the value of their rank moves beyond their immediate personal benefit into the world around them. Never underestimate the value of the power of influence.

“Leadership is action, not position.” - Donald H. McGannon (1920 - 1984)

No comments: