Saturday 15 June 2013

Green Business Certification


I have been incorporating Environmental Self Defence into my curriculum for a few years now through various projects and initiatives. I am a firm believer that respect for the environment is an integral component of developing respect for oneself.

It is not easy to always do what is right for the environment, let alone encourage that responsible behaviour in my students. I continue to butt heads with students and parents concerning issues like the banning of bottled water products from Silent River Kung Fu. I do my best to lead by example and I am slowly making progress along the environmental responsibility front.

I am proud to say that as of June 14, 2013, Silent River Kung Fu became the first martial arts school in Canada to be Certified as a Green Business. When I began pursuing this certification a year ago, my intention was to set a strong example for my students and community but my achievement paid dividends beyond my original goal through the additional knowledge I acquired during the certification process.

I am reminded that no effort expended toward self improvement is ever wasted.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Earnest Hemingway (1899 - 1961)

1 comment:

Brandi Beckett said...

"I am reminded that no effort expended toward self improvement is ever wasted."

Just what I needed to hear....Thank you.