Sunday 12 August 2012

Moving On

The fact that this year will be the final year of the official Ultimate Black Belt Test has left me with many conflicting emotions. I hadn't expected to be part of the team this year when originally only people wishing promotion were to be included. I had myself psyched up to face 2012 without being part of a team that has been a big part of me for the past five years. I am grateful to Master Callos for waiving the promotion requirement and allowing me to participate for one more year. It has been a great ride and a life changing experience.

I understand why the project is being discontinued in its current form and I agree with the decision. A project is only viable if the partiipation level is high. I know it has been impossible for me to juggle all my personal responsibilities and make significant contributions to both The One Hundred and the UBBT so the closing of one of these initiatives will hopefully strengthen the other. Ironically it was the demise of The 100. (the original iteration of The One Hundred) that had me finally commit to the Ultimate Black Belt Test in the first place.

I am disappointed that as a group we couldn't get it together enough to make the Ultimate Black Belt Test the project it aspired to be. In an industry that has so woefully lost its way, the UBBT and The One Hundred are beacons of light guiding the martial arts back to the noble path. I am grateful to have the opportunity to be a part of this industry revolution and I hope I am able to contribute something to Master Callos' extraordinary vision.

“Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is simply passing the time. Action with Vision is making a positive difference.” - Joel Barker

 

No comments: