Sunday 8 April 2012

Broccoli

My youngest daughter is my resident expert on food and nutrition. Of course everything she says I should be eating tends to be foods that I would rather not eat. It’s funny how my taste never seems to correspond to my body’s needs. Downright hilarious.

Based upon her recommendations, I have concocted a super smoothie that caters to my not so unique needs. The great thing about smoothies is that they are easy to make and the taste of the sum of the ingredients is vastly superior to the taste of the worst individual components of the recipe. In my case the worst would be pineapple (for my knees) and broccoli - God’s super food.

This year I have empirical evidence that broccoli definitely has a positive affect on my immune system. Beyond one major bout of influenza over Chinese New Year, I have not   been sick for over a year. Three times over the winter I felt a cold coming on and all three times the symptoms disappeared within twenty four hours of me consuming a broccoli laced smoothie. Coincidence? I think not.

Jeff's Cold Busting Smoothie

40g Whey Protein Powder
1 banana
1 Fuji apple
125 ml pineapple
250 ml broccoli
125 ml blueberries
250 ml ice

“I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli.” - George H. W. Bush (b.1924)

1 comment:

Krysta said...

Just wait till Ms Donahue gets ahold of you, and you will have smoothie recipes galore!