Sunday 30 October 2011

Opportunity From Injury

I know my hockey years are major contributors to the mindset that I can push through any pain and if I’m not hurting then I’m not pushing myself hard enough. Respecting injuries and pursuing mindful recovery have never been my forte but I do recognize the importance of wise progression when it comes to training.

Some of my greatest training breakthroughs have come about due to a major injury. My first of five knee surgeries transformed me from a kicker to a more balanced fighter. A major car accident put me on the path to study holistic healing and give me major insight into the internal harmonies. A fractured ankle and chronic shoulder swelling forced me to throttle back my weapons training and share the demonstrating responsibilities with my qualified students.

All injuries feel like setbacks when I first suffer them but when I stay optimistic and mindful, every one of them represent an opportunity.

“Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.” - William Arthur Ward (1921 - 1994)

No comments: