Sunday 12 June 2011

Art vs. Science

I have made a number of observations over the past couple of decades on how students of the martial arts approach their craft. I tend to categorize them into two groups - the artists and the scientists. Obviously there is a little of both in every martial artist but after about three years of training, students tend to gravitate to a dominant approach.

The scientist approach values function over form. This approach comes with a thirst for more knowledge and with an eye always firmly planted on the next step or technique. While every student, artist or scientist, wants more knowledge, the scientist tends to focus on the knowledge but not necessarily the skill required to apply the knowledge. It’s not unlike my approach to magic. I have an intense curiosity that drives me to understand how a magic trick is pulled off but I have little interest in spending the time required to master the trick so I can perform it myself. Applied to the martial arts, the scientist tends to value realism over form and relies upon speed and strength as opposed to technique and timing.

The artist approach values form over function. This approach focuses more on the journey than the destination. To an artist, it isn’t just where your hand ultimately ends up, it is how the hand travelled to where it is. The artist will pay attention to how the body feels during motion and unlike the scientist who performs motion, the artist experiences it.

I often talk to my students about the value of a pure moment in kung fu. It is in those moments where our technique is perfect and all our effort becomes effortless. I have experienced a pure moment less than a half dozen times in my life but with everything I have accomplished and experienced in the martial arts, it is those rare pure moments that I value the most. Only an artist can understand.

“Take a look at your natural river. What are you? Stop playing games with yourself. Where's your river going? Are you riding with it? Or are you rowing against it? Don't you see that there is no effort if you're riding with your river?” - Frederick Friesekes (1874-1939)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if I have ever experienced a pure moment the way you describe it here but there have been a couple of circumstances were I felt like something - other than my conscious self took over and I moved almost without thought (the void).

One such circumstance was a sparring match with Sifu Robertson - we were both quite pleased as we experienced the same kind of phenomena.

I know that I lean toward the scientific side of things but hopefully by recognizing this I make a conscious effort to balance it out and slow it down by feeding my artistic side a little more.

Maybe there is a middle ground.

Unknown said...

It is good to hear it said that way from you Sifu. There have been points in my training where I wasn't certain as to the direction that I should be going. We both know which way I tend to lean most times. However, I think that there is a point in ones training, especially for the males, where this realization and then transformation takes place.

For myself, I feel Tai Chi is playing a major roll in moving me to the artist side.

Darnell McKinley said...

Hi Sifu, while reading your post I have come to realize what has been missing from my newly acquired Karate practice: I miss the moments where the beauty of a movement resonates within.

After more than a year, Karate still does not fill me with the same joy Kung Fu did. I try not to carry a bias, but I have to admit, I find Karate harsh and vulgar compared to Kung Fu. I wonder if my lack of adjustment from Kung Fu to Karate is due to feeling as if I am a scientist trying to sort out the many nuances that make up the difference between the two martial arts. What feels right is wrong, and what feels wrong is right. My head and my body are no longer of one thought. The poetry of movement has be sweep over by the mechanics of movement. I am hoping that if I stick with it, that practice and repetition will bring back the full rich tones of my martial arts practice; I miss feeling that seemingly effortless connection of my mind and body.

P.S. I completely understand your thoughts on practicing two martial arts - a jack-of-all-trades is a master of none.

You are missed.
Darnell