Sunday 21 February 2010

The Future Is Bright

Six long months of grading came to an end last night when six new Sifus entered the world. Each new black belt brings their experience and leadership to the collective and their examples of perseverance and mastery provide the leadership that inspires others to reach for new heights. I find the grading process exhaustive but when everything turns out like it did last night, I am left with an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment and euphoria.

I am proud of my students’ accomplishments and when I look at the community effort that went into helping these six achieve their black belts, I have no doubts about the long term future of Silent River Kung Fu. My goal has always been to make my school bigger than any one individual and last night proved that we have indeed arrived. Our school truly has its own soul that will endure well beyond the lifespan of any one individual.

What a great way to start the Year of the Tiger.

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson (b. 1966)

No comments: