Sunday 12 July 2009

I Am Project - An Artist

I own an old VHS copy of Grand Master Ed Parker teaching a seminar at a martial arts school in California. The video is 80’s vintage, shot with a video camera of the same era so of course the quality is poor. There is a portion where GM Parker is explaining the force vectors associated with executing the high rising block and how it corresponds to the theory of orbital motion. His forty minute explanation is thorough, so thorough in fact that if one of my black belts were talking for that long during a class, I would have been quietly reaching for the big hook to pull them aside to tell them “less yak and more smack”. Yet when I watch this video, and I have over and over again, I find myself completely enthralled with every word GM Parker has to say and as he speaks I feel my mind opening up to his ideas and my fascination growing. Such is the power of passion.

Like any art kung fu has technical, physical, emotional, and spiritual components. Above all kung fu is an art and I am an artist. My passion will fuel my work.

“Traditionalists often study what is taught, not what there is to create.”
- Ed Parker (1931 - 1990)

1 comment:

Sara said...

You are so right about art and passion. One defines the other. I really enjoy your journal.