Sunday 7 June 2009

I Am Project - A Beacon

There is something that crosses my mind ever so often has really been resonating with me since Master McNeill’s visit last weekend. We are only given so many opportunities in our lifetime and it is important that we seize these opportunities and make the most of them.

When you consider the mathematical improbability of meeting a specific individual on a vast planet of six billion souls, this improbability borders on impossibility when you factor in our short lifespan. If you take that one step further and consider how few of our species are truly evolved human beings, the importance of each meeting and the opportunities it provides is accentuated.

The thought that consumes me at times is: Who is in the wings to replace these evolved individuals when they pass on? The leadership and inspiration of a Thich Nhat Hanh, a Dave McNeill, a Pamela Dorr, a Tom Callos, a David Suzuki is priceless. If we are not developing people of quality and character who can fill the shoes of the leaders of today, our society will surely suffer a massive loss.

I know I am blessed to have the opportunities that kung fu has given me. I exploited one such opportunity this past weekend and spent three days with Master McNeill. This experience has caused me to ponder every single student that has crossed my path over the years. How many have I failed to inspire to pursue their training? Perhaps they were potential leaders who may not fulfill their full potential because I failed to reach them. I recognize that my kung fu has made me a beacon that can draw many people, and thus many opportunities, to me and my influence. This is an awesome responsibility.

If I keep my experience of last weekend in front of me, I know I will not forget my role as a beacon and I will make the most of the opportunities that come my way through the people I meet.

“He who influences the thoughts of his times, influences all the times that follow. He has made his impress on eternity.” - Anonymous

No comments: