Sunday 22 June 2008

Respect

Respect. We talk about it, we teach it, but what is it? Everyone knows how to show it but very few actually conduct their lives in a way that embodies it.

A leader must exemplify respect. Of course no one is perfect, especially me, but if we want people to follow us, listen to us, respect us, we must strive to truly embrace the concept of respect and endeavour to conduct ourselves accordingly. I have made many bonehead mistakes in my past and I continue to struggle with this ideal. The fact that I keep it in front of me at all times, and consider it a work in progress, shows the personal value I have placed upon the concept of respect. It is a lifelong commitment that I will never fully master but one to which I am completely devoted to.

There are many times when I am not even aware I am showing a lack of respect until after I reflect upon the issue. I find that if I do not apply self realization, empathy, and accountability to my daily life, I can coast along, blissfully unaware of the consequences of my actions.

My respect for my body and my health is reflected by my diet and my lifestyle.

My respect for my instructor’s wisdom and time is reflected by my commitment to master the concepts of his lessons by applying myself 100% to this responsibility before seeking more knowledge.

My respect for my students is reflected by the passion which fuels my classes.

My respect for my art is reflected by the standard to which I hold myself and my students.

As an instructor I am obviously very sensitive to a student showing any lack of respect for my time and efforts. Fariborz Azhakh has a great story about him losing his opportunity to receive a personal lesson from Grandmaster Jihan Jae because he showed disrespect for his instructor’s role as a teacher through a flippant, yet innocent, remark. Presently I have a couple of sihings working their butts off to earn their black belt but will probably never achieve the rank because they still do not understand the concept of respect. Such are my failings as a teacher.

“There is no respect for others without humility in one's self.”
- Henri Frederic Amiel (1821 - 1881)

No comments: